Location: San Francisco
Synapse is seeking an Engineering Technician as part of our New Product Introduction (NPI) team to help manufacture, assemble, and modify leading edge products in its labs.
New Product Introduction (NPI) at Synapse
Our NPI (New Product Introduction) team, focuses on making sure designs can be realized on quality, cost, and schedule targets. Our work frequently spans from concept development to production, and from one person providing supply chain support to 20-person cross-functional teams developing and bringing to production entire hardware products in high volumes.
Synapse aims to foster a creative work atmosphere with openness and trust, where engineers can work hard, learn and grow professionally, and maintain meaningful lives. Diversity of our ideas and experiences (technical and personal) enriches our teams, enabling us to push innovation further.
About Synapse’s San Francisco Office
In the heart of the SOMA district lies Synapse SF, a tight-knit group of product developers focused on tackling the latest engineering challenges. Synapsters get down to business on our open design floor, build and test cool things in the lab spaces, and discuss ideas over coffee in the kitchen. We stay connected with our Seattle counterparts with collaborative work and SF Synapsters build and maintain strong relationships by coming together in the upstairs loft for the weekly, catered, Wednesday Lunch and by organizing regular Thursday Actives like painting, pottery, and hiking to bond with the team.
As an Engineering Technician, you will bring your passion for great products and technology, and use that to Synapse is seeking an Engineering technician to help manufacture, assemble, and modify leading edge products in our labs.
- Able to communicate to a broad audience, including clients.
- Enjoy creating and assembling innovative new products
- Passionate about your workspace and creating a showpiece out of our labs.
- Comfortable balancing competing priorities as well as working with clients in collaboration with the Synapse designers.
Low volume manufacturing, sourcing components (both mechanical and electrical), soldering PCBAs, building wiring harnesses, and assembling electronic and mechanical products, all while keeping the workspace clean and well organized. You will work closely with not only the New Product Introduction group but also EE and ME team.
- Organize and manage the lab spaces
- Source, order, and organize parts for upcoming builds
- Build units in low to medium volumes as needed
- Solder SMT components to support PCB
- Fabricate parts using 3D printers and CNC machine tools
- Set up, take down and reconfigure lab space
- Inspect PCB assemblies for manufacturing defects
- Build custom cable assemblies and test fixtures
- As a matrixed position, this will involve communicating with your manager about competing requests that come in from various stakeholders in Synapse and client requests
- 5+ years of experience as an manual assembler/solder/rework technician working in a relevant field, or similar experience as a maker / robotics hobbyist
- Experience sourcing and ordering components, then organizing them into build packages
- Experience manufacturing electronics devices, Consumer Electronics preferred, aerospace, industrial and others acceptable
- Must be able to solder fine pitch components such as 0201 discreets and QFN components to IPC standards
- Must be adaptive to a fast-paced engineering environment and able to integrate as an active team member with a positive can do attitude
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Responsible for hand-soldering and assembly of electronic components under a microscope.
- Reads, understands, and follows assembly drawings and oral or written instructions.
- Monitors quality in accordance with established quality specifications.
- Works independently and can adjust on the fly in a fast-paced ever-changing environment
- Experience measuring mechanical parts to ensure that they conform to drawings
- Experience using electronics test and measurement tools including, but not limited to, multimeters, power supplies and oscilloscopes.
- Must have basic computer skills proficiency, able to use windows, MS office, google docs, etc
- Experience with electrical assemblies
- Experience fabricating mechanical parts (3D printing and CNC machine tools)
- Experience with electro-mechanical assemblies (e.g. robots).
Synapse is an Equal Opportunity Employer (“EOE”). We value diversity and strive to promote an inclusive culture. We are committed to a work environment that respects and supports individuals and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.