Technical Procurement Specialist
Synapse is seeking a dynamic Technical Procurement Specialist to join our community! Our collaborative team is made up of multi-disciplinary engineers, manufacturing experts, and experienced project and business operations leaders. We work with the world’s leading companies to develop cutting-edge products, pushing the boundary of possibility and transforming the landscape of technology.
Synapse aims to foster a creative work atmosphere with openness and trust, where engineers can work hard, learn and grow professionally, and have fun doing it.. Diversity of our ideas and experiences (technical and personal) enriches our teams, enabling us to push innovation further.
ABOUT SYNAPSE’S SEATTLE OFFICE
Synapse’s headquarters are in the heart of downtown Seattle, which maintains many of the hallmarks of the company’s start-up roots. The dog-friendly, open office environment buzzes with activity, and employees are just as likely to solve problems over the ping-pong table as at the whiteboard. With over one hundred employees at this work site, Seattle Synapsters maintain the traditions of Wednesday Lunch, a weekly catered meal when the entire office comes together to celebrate successes; Social:30, where Synapsters gather to unwind every other week; and a variety of social events in which family and friends are invited to join in on the fun.
We have flexible work schedules with a hybrid of in-office and work from home.
The Technical Procurement Specialist is a member of the engineering team, who works to make our projects successful through the sourcing of complex engineering components. This will support both our Seattle and San Francisco offices.
In this role you’ll work with engineers in multiple disciplines to obtain the mechanical and electrical parts needed for the creation of prototypes and production-scale products ranging from wearable electronics to industrial agriculture. You’ll tackle sourcing challenges and utilize your talents to solve problems to ensure continuity of supply, effective pricing, quality and timely delivery in support of deliverables for our clients. . You’ll leverage our internal tools of Coupa and NetSuite to create and process purchase orders. While we have an outlined process for procurement of parts, we look to this individual to help us expand our capability in this space to support our client engagements.
- Manage the full procurement process including sourcing and contracting of engineering components, processes, supplies, equipment and services. Issue purchase orders and manage relationships with vendors.
- Work with engineering and project teams to coordinate procurement of time-sensitive engineering components, including proactively communicating with engineers and project managers on procurement status or issues.
- Independently assess supplier options and judge best solution for sourcing specified components for engineers.
- Be the liasion between the engineering team, supplier partners, and occasionally clients to effectively respond to unplanned changes as well as manage complex vendor situations and timely status updates.
- Ongoing communication with the engineers and our suppliers to ensure purchased received components meet our engineering requirements, planned timelines, and levels of quality.
- Apply expertise to ensure we are staying up to date on industry market trends.
- Occasionally handle goods throughout the process to ensure all goods are received and are not damaged.
- Assist in the shipping and receiving of high value components and prototypes.
- Regularly use MS Office tools to create content and track purchasing records and report status as needed.
- Analyze data to make procurement recommendations to engineering leadership.
- Collaborate with Accounts Payable to ensure smooth vendor payment processing.
- Work with team to send non-disclosure agreements as necessary to support purchasing efforts, establishing new ones with leadership as appropriate.
- Use and update our in-house Vendor Database during procurement of custom parts.
- On an as-needed basis, work with clients directly to present procurement challenges and status.
- Two - four years of mechanical and electrical custom and off-the-shelf parts procurement required
- Two year degree (or equivalent experience) in business, or related field such as electrical or mechanical engineering
- Strong communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with technical engineering teams and suppliers
- Positive and professional approach with the ability to develop collaborative relationships
- Ability to compare bids and optimize pricing
- Proficient with Microsoft Office – Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Attention to detail and record keeping
- Organization skills with excellent follow up communicating status updates
- Ability to independently organize and complete work in a quick, efficient manner
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Engineering or other applicable discipline
- Experience working in the professional services industry
- Sustainability expertise as it relates to procurement efforts (suppliers, packaging, shipping, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of supplier market trends and conditions
- Knowledge of international shipping and import/export practices
- Familiarity with Octopart.com and similar online sourcing tools
- Experience with Coupa and/or NetSuite
- Familiarity with Google Docs
Synapse is an Equal Opportunity Employer (“EOE”). We value diversity and strive to promote an inclusive culture. We are committed to a work environment that respects and supports individuals and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.